Both next-gen consoles have major feature updates coming soon.
- Quick Resume games are now automatically grouped for easy access.
- Xbox is looking at adding additional quick resume management features in the future.
- Dynamic backgrounds will be added to your home screen.
- Expanded USB storage capabilities.
- You can not play the games on the extended storage, but they can be copied back over quickly.
- Cross-gen Share Play.
- You can now share your screen with your PS4 friends while chatting in a group.
- Join a friends game.
- A PC game staple, PS5 users can request to join a friend’s game instead of being invited beforehand.
- Additional features for the PlayStation App.
- Manage PS5 storage
- Compare trophies
- Join multiplayer sessions
- Sort and Filter the PlayStation Store
A recent leak may have revealed a new feature in the works. Sony accidentally uploaded an image of a logo for “PlayStation Plus Video Pass.” The image was uploaded to Sony’s official site before quickly being removed, giving the leak validity. The new feature could be a Sony movie streaming capability added to the PlayStation Plus subscription service. This is counterintuitive to Sony’s latest deal with Netflix for streaming rights and Disney Plus for the Sony/Marvel streaming rights. Sony’s only comment on the leak is that it’s a “test service.”
These updates are the first of many that will shape this console generation. GameSpot readers were asked what feature they want to be added to the PS5. 72% voted for PS1-PS3 games on the PSN. We may see PlayStation head to the player’s call and add the feature in a future update. What feature do you want to see added to PS5 or Xbox Series X/S?